[Sca-cooks] Citrus peel candied

Rebecca Friedman rebeccaanne3 at gmail.com
Fri May 17 18:34:14 PDT 2019

Thank you Johnna, and thank you Alys Katharine!

I had just finished searching through Martino for anything that looked as
if it'd hold up through Pennsic's heat and wasn't marzipan, and completely
failing to find it. I wasn't expecting an early-15th-century Venetian
candied orange peel recipe to drop into my lap, but that absolutely fits
the bill. I have now cut up a lot of peels and am drying them; with luck
they will show up at a 15th-century or part 15th-century Italian ball at
Pennsic this year or next. Thank you again!

(I was wondering why all the lengthy soaking - my modern candied orange
peel recipe doesn't do that - when my mother asked "and what kind of
oranges did they have in 1400 in Italy?" and suddenly it all made much more
sense. For which I was grateful, because sour oranges are the only kind we
have in excess right now.)

The one complication is that it says "spices". I'm planning on looking
through the Anonymous Venetian and, if that fails to yield useful
suggestions, going with ginger and/or cinnamon, since those are the spices
Martino puts with orange juice when he's specifying (as opposed to "sweet
spices"), but if anyone knows of other examples of 15th-century
oranges-and-or-orange-juice-with-specified-spices I'd be very interested.
(Or if anyone has firm opinions on what Martino means when he says "sweet
spices" - I expect it includes cinnamon but don't know past that.)

Rebecca da Firenze