[Sca-cooks] allspice

Stefan li Rous stefanlirous at gmail.com
Sun May 19 14:16:59 PDT 2019

On May 17, 2019, at 11:42 PM, Terry <t.d.decker at att.net> wrote:

> Sweet spices commonly refers to cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, nutmeg, and mace with cloves sometimes in the mix.  Allspice can be included, but it arrives only on the first voyage of Columbus.

What is the evidence for this? This is the first I've heard of it in Europe this early.

> The term "allspice" first appears in English in the first quarter of the 17th Century, so it was likely being used in the late 16th Century, but I've never seen a reference that can be definitively stated to be allspice.

Was it known by something other than "allspice" originally?

> Bear

This is one spice I often use in my New Word/Old World food game, because many people, as I did, think allspice is  a mixture of spices. So, I show them the whole allspice nut.

Stefan

PS: Working on getting the Florilegium up at florilegium-test.org <http://florilegium-test.org/> . Problems have to do with frames.
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at gmail.com