[Sca-cooks] Early English Books Online Text Creation Partnership (EEBO-TCP)

Sandra J. Kisner sjk3 at cornell.edu
Thu Apr 9 04:58:40 PDT 2020

Good news indeed!

Sandra

-----Original Message-----
From: Sca-cooks <sca-cooks-bounces+sjk3=cornell.edu at lists.ansteorra.org> On Behalf Of Sam Wallace
Sent: Tuesday, April 7, 2020 6:28 PM
To: sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org
Subject: [Sca-cooks] Early English Books Online Text Creation Partnership (EEBO-TCP)

All,

I hope this finds you doing well in the face of the ongoing crisis and that this tidbit will help add a little joy into your days. While looking up a word for a transcription project I am working on, I came across a book in the currently available section of the EEBO-TCP. For those not familiar, these are the titles that have been transcribed from the original EEBO collection. When this was set up, it was intended to be done in phases, with initial access being granted initially to those who took part i the project and then later to the public. We are less than a year away from most of the titles being made available to us:

*As of 2019, the total number of books available in Phase II came to 34,963, with a further release of several thousand additional titles tentatively scheduled for later in the year.  Short of an infusion of new funding, or the adoption of a new production model, this should bring the active work of the TCP to at least an interim conclusion.Currently, EEBO-TCP Phase II texts are available only (with minor exceptions)  to authorized users at partner libraries.  By contractual stipulation, ProQuest currently has the exclusive right to distribute the EEBO-TCP Phase II corpus to new customers, or to users outside the original Phase 2 partnership. When this window expires, the texts will be released freely to the public. By long arrangement, this removal of restrictions will occur on or about January 1, 2021.*

There are quite a number of cookery resources in this collection that will now be both available and easily searchable. It certainly gives me something to look forward to.

REF:
https://textcreationpartnership.org/tcp-texts/eebo-tcp-early-english-books-online/

- Guillaume