[Sca-cooks] Transylvanian Cabbage Salads

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Thu May 14 15:05:02 PDT 2020

That's from Chicago to Houston and everywhere from the Great divide to the Mississippi.  It compared favorably to top seafood joints on the coasts.  It opened in 1939 and was run by the Bagget family until 1969, when they sold to a restaurant management group, who continued operations into the 1976 before retiring Herman's and turning the shop into Zuccinis.

They specialized in fresh seafood, which was expressed in, packed in ice.  I got to eat there both when the Baggets ran it and under Val-Genes.  It did well until 73 or 74, when the effect of coming off the gold backed dollar really messed with the economics of the restaurant.  In its day, its menu was superb and hard of my more poverty stricken pocket.

Bear