[Sca-cooks] The ancient Roman banquet celebrated shock, awe and carpe diem - CNN Style

Sandra J. Kisner sjk3 at cornell.edu
Sun Nov 29 09:10:01 PST 2020

An interesting article, though I wonder at the claim that "'The Romans actually ate lying on their bellies so the body weight was evenly spread out and helped them relax. The left hand held up their head while the right one picked up the morsels placed on the table, bringing them to the mouth. So they ate with their hands and the food had to be already cut by slaves,' Jori said."  The pictures I found online of the fresco of a banquet scene at Casa dei Casti Amanti in Pompei (referenced later in this article) clearly shows a man reclining on his side, what I would have expected.  Eating might be possible, but it would seem to me nearly impossible to drink, with assistance or not, while lying on one's belly.  Does anyone with more knowledge of Roman dining practices have any comments?

Sandra

The ancient Roman banquet celebrated shock, awe and carpe diem - CNN Style

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/ancient-roman-feasting-history/index.html
https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/ancient-roman-feasting-history/index.html