[Sca-cooks] OOP, safely preserving pickles

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sat Oct 24 14:41:40 PDT 2020

You might take a look at Serious Eats.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2020/10/science-of-lactic-acid-fermentation-preservation.html?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Features_202001024_Saturday_LacticFermentation&utm_content=Features_202001024_Saturday_LacticFermentation+CID_61afa764ce2ec300213720c9ecea7173&utm_source=Email%20campaign&utm_term=Get%20the%20full%20story <https://www.seriouseats.com/2020/10/science-of-lactic-acid-fermentation-preservation.html?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Features_202001024_Saturday_LacticFermentation&utm_content=Features_202001024_Saturday_LacticFermentation+CID_61afa764ce2ec300213720c9ecea7173&utm_source=Email%20campaign&utm_term=Get%20the%20full%20story>

I would suggest making notes keeping a notebook for your batches noting amounts, methods, etc so you can duplicate or change the ingredients as needed in successive batches.

Johnnae

> On Oct 23, 2020, at 3:02 AM, Patricia Dunham <chimene at ravensgard.org> wrote:
>
> IIRC the jars-co. usually includes some basic printed info; they also EDIT the booklets annually.
>
>> On Oct 20, 2020, at 7:44 AM, Kathleen A Roberts <karobert at unm.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Ball (the folks who make the jars) has an excellen booklet on canning, both refrigerator, hot water bath and pressure cooker.   Everything from pickles to soup to jellies and jams, and the recipes I tried are very good.
>>
>> Fairly inexpensive.  I actually got mine at Walmart.   Of course, Amazon....
>>
>> Cailte
>>

>> Rebecca da Firenze/Rebecca Friedman asked about pickling.

Also an excellent resource are various extension offices, which provide the
why as well as the how to. They are a trusted source of information.

Lucia (in cool but sunny SW Ealdormere)

I second the recommendation for the Ball Blue Book -- you can't go wrong
with it, also the suggestion to look at extension offices.

I can also recommend using wide-mouth jars unless you have really teeny
hands because it's much easier to pack them nicely if you can get your hand
in there. Use brand-new jars if you're pressure canning. Used jars are
generally fine for water-bath canning, but I've had used jars explode in
the pressure canner twice now. And you can never have too many kitchen
towels on hand when you're canning.

Margaret fitzWilliam