[Sca-cooks] Marzipan ingredients

Robin Carroll-Mann rcarrollmann at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 09:33:48 PST 2021

There's a 16th c. soteltie recipe for marzipan "peach pits" made with
cinnamon and saunders (ground red sandalwood). Together, they produce a
very nice reddish brown. I've never tried marzipan with just the saunders
added, but I imagine it would be a brick red. There's a recipe in one of
the 17th c recipe books for marzipan "streaky bacon" made by stacking
layers of uncolored marzipan and red (from saunders) marzipan, and slicing
it thinly.

Brighid ni Chiarain