[Sca-cooks] Foods for Invalids

Krulikoski-Waldn, Sandy krulikoski-waldn.1 at osu.edu
Tue Jan 10 10:13:28 PST 2023

>From my time period, it would be watery gruel and/or broth.  I've used vegetables boiled to until they are mush and added more broth (usually meat broth) to make a  thin gruel or thick broth depending on the intent.

Isiillin Teague
AKA Sandy

-----Original Message-----
From: Sca-cooks <sca-cooks-bounces+krulikoski-waldn.1=osu.edu at lists.ansteorra.org> On Behalf Of Christy
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2023 11:22 AM
To: 'Cooks within the SCA' <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
Subject: [Sca-cooks] Foods for Invalids

Greetings Cooks!

I have long been interested in the sections of period cooking and medicinal writings aimed at foods for the infirm.  Having just been diagnosed with a gastric infirmity of my own, it is of even more interest than before.  :/

For example, many of the early mentions of gruel are in medical treatises that recommended it as food for invalids because it was nourishing and easy to digest.

(My personal needs are currently for low-fiber foods, so broth is better for me currently than gruel J )

I'm interested in seeing what various cultures consider healing foods.   I'd
like to know what is said about seasonality and humoral influences, among others.

What would your persona feed to an invalid?

Christianna, who is missing oatmeal something fierce