SC - Hosts for KWHS-2000 - Long!

MGreene at mpan.com MGreene at mpan.com
Mon Feb 14 17:07:19 PST 2000

Unto the Heralds and Scribes of Ansteorra, I send Greetings!
I know many of you have expressed excitement about the upcoming Knowne
World Heraldic Symposium to be held this June in Houston.   The Canton has
the details of plans being finalized and it looks like the event will be
fun and educational!

As we are the host Kingdom for this event, I have several favors to ask of
you:
1.  We have a devious group of Heralds planning a number of games for the
weekend... such as Speed Court ('just how fast can you read that scroll
text, and still be understood?') headed up by HL AElfwyn from Bjornsborg.
I would like to have a bevey of prizes available for the contestants to
win.    Unfortunately, in keeping the budget low, we have no budget for
prizes.  So, I would ask that you consider contributing a item or two.
Possible ideas:

Scribes:  Supplies, pens, inks, books-books-books.
Heralds: Portfolios to keep papers in order,  the flashlights on a string
for reading scrolls at night.,  books - books - books (I have already
picked up 2 heraldic books, and one Illumination one to contribute from
Half-Price...they are my best friends!).
Please let me know if you plan to contribute something, so we can plan
accordingly.  Thanks.

2.   One or two of you have made comments about staying in locations
off-campus, but I highly encourage you to consider bunking in at the dorms.
We have a full schedule of activities, and if you have never been to one of
these Symposiums, you will find that some of the best learning
opportunities come in the off-schedule hours (and often late-hours) hanging
around the sitting areas talking with heralds from out of kingdom.  Don't
miss this chance to spend 'quality time' (and I mean that sincerely) with
folks that are spending bucks to come here and discuss their passion of
heraldic and scribal arts with you.

3.  If you are driving into the event, and are going to be onsite from Noon
to evening Friday, and again on Sunday morning thru afternoon, consider
assisting us with transportation to and from the nearby museums for the
folks without vehicles.  Most are within walking distance, but may be more
pleasant by vehicle.

On Friday or Sunday, I recommend attendees take advantage of the Museum of
Fine Arts show of a large Ancient Chinese exhibit, which will be opening
soon,...and the second building of this museum will be open before June.
Also, the Museum of Natural History will be showing a 'Gold and Gems from
the Kremlin', with some items in our time period.   For the Scribes, we are
planning a field trip on Sunday morning (while the Heralds have their
Laurel's Decision meeting), to the Museum of Printing History of Houston
(will definately need transport for this).... which has undergone a massive
conversion, and has studios for printing, bookbinding, papermaking, and
galleries.  They have promised to bring out some historical manuscripts for
us to view.   This is one of the premier printing museums in the nation.

4.  Last, we may need to borrow some equipment... seeking slide projectors
and overhead projectors.  If you have them to loan, and can bring them to
the site with you, that would save us from having to rent them.
Additionally, I would like to borrow a set of walkie talkies (2-4units), as
activities will be taking place in the dorm and the classroom buildings.
Please advise if you are able to loan.

If able to assist, or if you have any questions or suggestions per the
above, please e-mail me privately.  I am not currently on these lists.
Thanks in advance for all your help and support with this event, and for
your indulgence in this long missive.
Yours,    HE Mistress Hillary Greenslade      Y2-KWHS Autocrat

PS:  Pre-registrations should begin in March.  Rice U. is in the middle to
setting their next years budget, so prices will be finalized soon.  (They
are going to be very economical!)  Please check the web-site for the
pre-registration form early March.  Thanks for you patience.