SC - Scribal Web Page

MGreene at mpan.com MGreene at mpan.com
Fri Sep 22 11:26:49 PDT 2000

Well, if you are at a loss for ideas, you can go take a peak at some of the
other kingdom Scribal pages, then pick and choose the best ideas from each
of them.

I would suggest adding some Artisan Galleries... each person could have
thumbnail pics of 2-4 of their scrolls, with brief text to go with it on
how it was made, etc.  Then the thumbnail could be blown up for review of
details.  This would help promote knowledge on the artistry of some of our
scribes, who often do a scroll, its presented in court, and never sees the
light of day again.      Be sure to include a disclaimer on the page that
secures the work to the artist.. like a copywrite, with notations that it
should not be copied in its entirity, or so.   See other scribe pages for a
text disclaimer sample.

Artisan of the month page... where you have a bit more space of artwork, as
well as a bit of bio on the artisan, perhaps their picture in costume, so
we can put a face to the name.

We already have the scroll texts on the heralds page, but you could put
color copies of some of the more popular charter scrolls on there, to use
as sample for painting. ... such as the laminated set that Curstaidh made
available.  Perhaps these could be the originals as painted by the scroll
originator, so we see how it was intended to be painted.   I believe the
team is already planning to do this.

Scribes Handbook (a work in progress) on it as a PDF download.   That would
save on printing costs.    Its already in an electronic format... just
secure it so its text is fixed, and unable to be changed.   Be sure to add
the PDF writer to the site, so if the person downloading doesn't have the
software, they will get it and be able to open the handbook file.

List the current officer contacts, with e-mails listed.
Links to the other kingdom scribe sites, and some individual SCA scribe
sites

Links to mundane/modern scribe guild sites... such as the entire SW region
of modern Scribes Guilds, which includes guilds in Austin, Houston, Dallas,
San Antonio.... etc.  I'm a member of the Houston Guild, and have learned
loads by taking classes from modern professional Scribes.     I highly
recommend any scribe taking advantage of any local non-SCA scribes guild...
what you learn will definately transfer to the SCA venue.

Scroll Commissions:  You could have the Star Signet put out a list of the
persons in the kingdom commissioning individual hand made scrolls for their
achievements... a bunch of peers have never received peerage scrolls, and I
suspect buried somewhere in the Star Signet files is a list of those
requests... Serena had a form for folks to fill out on what they wanted on
their scroll (device, blazon, style preferred)....  You could list the
requests with a name, location and 'Wanting Commision' or so, then if a
scribe is interested in taking the commission, they will contact Star
Signet, and the patron name will change the text to 'In Progress', then
when its done, you can change the text to 'Completed by.... artist'.
Keep the list on a spreadsheet, then just copy it to the web page from time
to time, so as to update the site, say once a month.

A studio tour.... picture of several of us in our 'studio's if any have
one.... such as your drafting table and you work area.   Seeing someone
else's studio, sometimes will give us a set up idea.   Though I know most
of us pack and unpack our 'studio' on our kitchen tables.

That's all I can think of for now... more after lunch if something comes to
me.    Hillary

"Brent Ryder" <bryder at compucom.com>@ansteorra.org on 09/22/2000 12:23:55 PM
Subject:  SC - Scribal Web Page

What I would like to kick around out here is the matter of what you all
would like to see on the page?

I knwo that all of those mentioned above have ideas on what they would like
on the page, but I feel it is better to have more ideas and participation
than less.