[Scriptoris] Introduction

Carolle cternus at texas.net
Sun May 6 09:26:33 PDT 2001

Hello!

I am Radegund of Tours.  I hail from Bjornsborg where I started in the
SCA in 1987, with a 4 year break overseas.  Mostly I lurk on this list,
and I haven't callig'ed or illum'ed for quite awhile.  Reading about
everyone's projects has gotten me itchy to start up again.

My favorite illumination styles are all early to middle period.  Roman,
Merovingian, Carolingian, Ottonian, Romanesque.  I love the Spanish
styles up to 1100 or 1200's - the Beatus Apocalypses.  The colors and
figures are so bold and intriguing.  I'm giving a class at King's
College on the above styles.  If you're going to KC, stop in and tell me
what you think of the class.  I want to look into other early/mid period
styles as well.  One day I'll get off my butt and paint a dyeplant
herbal for Ansteorra in the style of the Codex Vindobonensis, a 5th or
6th century Byzantine book of Dioscurides' De Materia Medica.

Since I've given C&I a break, mostly due to wrist problems, I've shifted
my attention to fiber arts.  It is my stated purpose to learn everything
medievals did with string -- mostly because I have a baronial buttload
(TM) of string and yarn.  I'm also a compulsive researcher, which led to
an Thistle in Research.

I've been Bjornsborg MoAS, got charter painting started here (though it
has since gone dormant. These things are cyclical here), autocratted
some local arts events.  I'm a member of the Alexandrian Company, a
group dedicated to promoting and encouraging period research.  I am
currently acting MoAS for the Southern Region.

Thank you, Sara, for suggesting these introductions.  It not only lets
people get to know each other, but can inspire others to dive in.

Radegund