[Scriptoris] gold

Jocelyn F Hinkle scribe_ari at lycos.com
Sun Jan 20 15:08:43 PST 2002

little book called "the materials and techniques of medieval painting"
by Daniel V. Thompson
ISBN 0-486-20327-1

Gold would be powdered to a comperable consistency of any other powdered pigment, and mixed with a medium. To do this the gold was mixed with honey or salt to keep it form sticking together while it was ground fine.

page 198 speaks on the use of gold inks, especially in conjunction with colored papers.

Mix your powdered gold with glair or gum, stir, and use as you would an ink. When dry, it can be burnished.

Ari
---
One should not discuss a dream
In front of a simpleton.
     ~Ekai, called Mu-Mon. From the Gateless Gate~
Scribe_Ari at Lycos.com