[Scriptoris] Red Ink

Star Signet Herald star_signet at ansteorra.org
Tue Dec 3 11:46:36 PST 2002

Hi all!

After gathering my walnuts and oak galls, I am attempting to make ink.  Wish me
luck.

But I just had a thought.  Red ink was used in period as well (as well as blue
and other colors).  And it's difficult to find a good color of waterproof,
colorfast and archival red ink.  I know if you water down crimson red gouache,
it comes close to the correct color.  But that can be a real pain at times to
get the right consistancy and make sure that all the color is ground up and
there's no graininess.

So, I was wondering if anyone out there had a recipe for red ink or any other
color?  And if they do, would they mind sharing it with the list?

Thanks!

Annais