[Scriptoris] Gold leaf questions

Star Signet Herald star_signet at ansteorra.org
Tue Dec 3 12:33:04 PST 2002

Quoting Jocelyn Hinkle <scribe_ari at lycos.com>:

> gee... don't ask the small questions do you. ;-)

Nope!  hee hee... So, here are a few more for you!

Ok, so where can I get the gold leaf?  Who has the best prices?  Who has the
best reputation for quality?  Can I get it on-line?

Can I get the size from the same place?  Is this the same stuff they used in
period?  Or is it different now?

Can I get glair already made?  Or do I have to whip that up myself?  Speaking
of whipping up.... How do you whip it up and how long will it last?

Aren't there gold leafing brushes out there?  How are they different from my
paint brush?  What are they made of?  Can I get by with usisng just tweezers
and a prayer?

What exactly is a guilding knife?  And where can I find it?  Do I have to have
it?  Can't I just use something that will work roughly the same way?

What is a guilding pillow?  how was it used?  Has anyone out there used one?
Do they work?  Is it worth my money to use?

Ok, so I really do know the answers to some(but not all) of these questions,
but I was asking for those who might want to know and would enjoy
experimenting.