[Scriptoris] Rare book collections

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 12 11:13:45 PST 2003

--- Crystal Lamb <crystal.lamb at sabinevalley.org> wrote:
> It all started when young Aslyn begged her Laurel (and grand Laurel) to
> take her to....The SMU Libraries!!!!!  Yes, kids....there are wonders to
> behold at the SMU libraries (note the plurality here)...even extant
> examples (read:  primary sources that you can squint at, and "if memory
> serves me" if you hit it at the right time, you can put on gloves and
> fondle....."oooohhhhh").
> ~Aslyn

Actually, a number of university, city and museum libaries have private
reserves with rare books, you just have to know where to look or whom to
ask.  So, you may find there are sources available in Oklahoma as well,
start asking the librarians.

U of Houston has a rare book section, as does I believe Rice Univ.  Also,
Houston has the Museum of Printing History, with some books on archive or
display.  Also, the Harry Ranson (sp) museum/library in Austin has a rare
book section on an upper floor.  The LBJ Library Science may have a
collection.   The only problem with seeing most of these not-often public
areas, is they are generally only available on weekdays, during business
hours, when the full staff is available.

It's best to know what you are looking for (printing, callig.,
Illuminations, a country or time period), and the staff can help you.

So, check out your local sources, and you may be amazed what you find.
Also good if you take your own cotton gloves to view the books, staff will
generally be very impressed to see your care of these 'antiques', and may
provide more help.  Notepad and pencils are often all allowed in, they may
make you lock up your purses, bags, coats, etc., for security of the
collection.
Hillary