[Scriptoris] Galen's charter (was: What are people working on?)

Diane Rudin serena1570 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 9 02:48:31 PDT 2003

Poor abused Ches wrote:

> I would not ask publicly for such information if all resources had not been
> exhausted. This has been a four year project already.

Mea maxima culpa.

> Folks, for those of you that have no clue as to what we are talking about
> this ceremony was one of the most unique in all of SCA history. The
> recipient requested that anyone of the populace that wished to speak up for
> him please step forward and speak. Tradition states that only four very
> specific members of peerage step forward and speak and only those four are
> mentioned in the scroll. This is going to be one of those moments where
> _Creative_ in the name of our game is going to have to be used in the
> wording of his scroll. :)

> Oh Serena ..... :)

Fine.  I'll dump most of the witnesses and replace them with the Baron and
Baroness of Elfsea, which is where the thing happened, if I recall correctly.
It also has the added filip of making the text more authentic, as the witnesses
usually were of local import.  It especially was important to include the local
noble ruling/holding (depending on when you're talking about, and where) the
lands in which the ceremony was taking place.  For those desiring to learn more
about this, I recommend Hubert Hall, *Studies in English Official Historical
Documents* (New York:  Burt Franklin, 1969 reprint of 1908 edition) as the best
introduction to the subject of diplomatics.

I need to double-check my sources about the signing and/or sealing of the
document and get back to you about that.  Call and remind me the day of
populace meeting so I can bring that to you there.

--Serena