[Scriptoris] Re: Backlog

Diane Rudin serena1570 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 10 16:08:29 PDT 2003

--- Kimberly Koch <sarapenrose at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I want to note, however, that the West backlog
> includes names of people who are inactive. I don't
> think it's going to be productive to create a backlog
> list for Ansteorra in this way.

Exactly what I was going to say.

> I'd recommend that we require peers and royals to
> *request* scrolls, to ensure that we are working on
> scrolls for people who really want them, rather than
> for folks who are inactive, have moved away, or who
> just don't feel the need to have a scroll for their
> award.

Or who already had one done--or who already have lined up a scribe--and we
didn't know about it.

> So we'd be building the list from requests,
> rather than just pulling names from the OP.

On the other hand, personally contacting people who are still active but might
not realize that they're entitled to a document would need to start with the
OP.  That's what I intend to do as Stellar Scroll--personally track down every
peer, noble, and terminal-grant-order-member with registered name and arms but
not achievement, and get them registered.

> BTW, have I mentioned yet that I also think we need to
> limit our list to peers and royals (those of county or
> ducal rank)? Every award at grant level or below
> already comes with a scroll, but peers and royals
> often - *usually* - do not receive scrolls, so if
> we're going to work on backlog, I think it makes sense
> to start with those.

I agree that we need to start there, but I also want to start getting
achievement documents done.  Hardly anyone does them; most people probably
don't know they're entitled to them.  And the terminal grant orders--White
Scarf, Arcus Majoris, Golden Lance--are just as deserving of consideration in
that regard as the peers and nobles.

In addition, I believe part of the lack of artists willing to do original works
for peers and nobles is our own fault, Sara.  After seeing the Laurel letters
patent that Margaret did for me, and the County you did for Mikaela, is it any
wonder we've scared people off?  We need to get some simpler originals done and
out there so that people can see more approachable examples, something that
makes them say, "I can do that!"

But your main point--that we shouldn't shout out "Y'all come!" before we have
the resources to deal with the demand that would ensue--I agree with
wholeheartedly.

--Serena