[Scriptoris] Check this out!

letebts@earthlink.net letebts at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 20 21:14:35 PST 2003

Ari, and anyone else who's been intimidated by the Scroll of the East,

Granted, the scroll is awsome and as Ari said, "This is a TOTALLY humbling
piece > of art, and should be a)insured, and b)in a museum." I wonder if
they would sell color xeroxes of it. If anyone hears about such an offering,
please let me know, or post it, as I am sure I am not alone it wanting to
see it in a media other than pixels and an inkjet printer. Seeing it printed
in actual size would also be helpful to the chronic student each artist is.

Don't be so discouraged! I find that what the mind wants to do and what the
hands and training are capable of are, most of the time, on two different
levels on the plotting grid. The distance between them should be looked on
as a "learning curve." Although achieveable, when your head and your hand
are in the same spot, you aren't learning, plus, you are vegetating if you
stay there. That's what art is all about, reaching out to say in a physical
way what is in your creative mind. Courage is going on with the search to do
that, to study, to learn, to attempt it.

Use their scroll for an inspiration and a goal. Learn what you need in each
field, but don't try to know it all at one time; it was a joint effort, so
not all of them knew the entire spectrum of what went into it, either. If
you must go back to the basics, build the steps to your goal with what you
learn with your "crayons and big fat jumbo pencils." Another thing, don't
let the "for a while" be an interminable "while."

I once was so intimidated by a large and technically-demanding project I
took on in oil paints that I left all color except black inks and pencils
and a Conte "Red Sanguine" (brick red) wax crayon for SIX years. I learned a
lot about contrasts, techniques, and textures that has stood me good stead
to the present. Six years was a bit over the top, though. The old gray
mare/horse's mouth advises that's too long.

Renoir, when he was in his nineties and was having to have his children tape
his brushes into his hands so he could work, was reputed to have said, "I
think I am beginning to understand light." Rembrandt, old, impoverished, was
given money by well-meaning people to buy food for himself. In his need to
create, he used his food money to buy paints. That can be classed as an
addiction or an over-powering focus to experiment and learn, whichever way
you want to look at it.

Take heart, dear ones. Art, like life, is a journey, not a destination.

Lete Bithespring