[Scriptoris] Seeking Advice

Diane Rudin serena1570 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 24 23:57:20 PST 2003

I am self-taught, as are several other people on this list.  To teach yourself, you need to:  test extraordinarily high in spatial relations; possess excellent, precise drafting talent; be self-critical, almost to excess; own good ink & pens & paper & Drogin.  Add about a ream of 8x8-grid graph paper, and you're all set!  If your friends are always accusing you of being a perfectionist, you'll do okay on you own with occasional feedback from others.

At least, that's been my experience.  Of course, as others on this list will point out if I don't first, this can also lead to 16-hour, non-stop calligraphy binges that land your hands under a surgeon's laser & being somewhat crippled for life--if you're not careful.  I'm only still useful around here because I haven't crippled my mind or my mouth.  :^)

On second thought, where do you live (in the real world)?  We might be able to find you a teacher somehow.

--Serena, a washed-up old scribe dreaming of better days

 Elswythe of Wessex <elfswytheofmercia at yahoo.com> wrote:--

Sorry about using the "Reply" button but I would like to know how difficult calligraphy is to learn on one's own? I fell in love with scrolls and such at Gulf Wars at Scribe's Point and there doesn't seem to be any classes around here.

Morgana Vandya, Incipient Canton of Rivers Run