[Scriptoris] Nib flexibility tips

letebts@earthlink.net letebts at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 29 07:23:22 PST 2003

A side note on flexibility of dip nibs:

The Brause nibs are somewhat stiff, better for heavy-handers and beginners,
and come with a "poynte" and dangerous top-loading, removeable reservoir,
which, unfortunately, cannot be adjusted to the thickness of the writing
medium.

The ubiquitous Speedball nibs are not as stiff, have a non-removeable,
top-loading reservoir, which can be irreversibly adjusted to accomodate more
ink and avoid "dams" of the thicker media. To adjust the reservoir, slip one
side of a pair of tweezers under the reservoir, lifting, pinching the
tweezers, and bending the tip of the reservoir down to touch the nib's slit.

The William-Mitchell nibs, formerly known as Rexel nibs, are the most
flexible and have an easily-removeable, bottom-loading reservoir which can
be adjusted by bending or straightening at the two holes. A caution: do not
angle the tip into the tines enough to make the tines splay or ink will
blob.
Check the wings on the side to make sure they are adjusted tight enough to
hold the reservoir on, but not so tight as to make the tines separate due to
tension.
Wm-Mitchell's is the only nib I know that also can slide up and down to
further tweak the adjustment of the ink flow (which changes due to the
viscosity of the media, the slant of the work surface, and the barometric
changes in the environment).

Just thought I'd share...

Lete