[Scriptoris] White vine Question

Diane Rudin serena1570 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 23 18:35:58 PDT 2003

--- Kayci McKinley <kmckinley at petra.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am just beginning my first design in white vine for a prize scroll
> that I
> am doing.  I have designed several other styles of scrolls from early
> celtic
> to Viscontii, to whatever strikes my fancy. I am a "do I like it", if
> so,
> try it kind of a scribe.  I really like the intricacy and look of the
> white
> vine.

It's always nice to see people willing to try new things.

>  I have a few period samples of pages with white vine on them in an
> Italian
> Illumination book that I have and I was wondering if anyone has any
> tips or
> tricks to keep in mind when working on the design.  Any help would be
> great.

Without your drafts in front of me to comment on, I offer the following
suggestions based on my experiences and that of others I know who've
dabbled in this style:

(1)  You will almost certainly be inclined to draw the vines too large
in proportion to the overall balance of the document and too wide in
proportion to the rest of the elements of the illumination.  Resist the
urge.

(2)  There are at least three distinct styles of white-vine work.  It
seems to be a regional difference.  If you and I were going through a
book together, I could point it out to you.  Will you be at Crown
Tournament or Steppes Warlord?

(3)  As best I can recall, the only script used with Italian white-vine
illumination is "humanist bookhand", which is very similar to the
typeface of many modern books, but with some important differences.
Again, it's easier to show than to tell.  It would be good if we could
get together about this.  I'd love to help you out.

--Serena