[Scriptoris] What are people working on?

Elaine Crittenden letebts at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 8 08:47:56 PDT 2003

Sounds like you guys are busy, too....

What is this scribe doing? Staying busy...
A motto I made up this summer is "Carpe dinero!"

I work as a mundane professional calligrapher (Calligraphy Heaven, Dallas)
and am in the middle of the season for fall/winter brides. I am into my
sixth "wedding envelope" commission in the last two months (Arrighi italic,
of course, with some Tagliente flourishes thrown in).

As far as the SCA, I did the preprint text on the small scrolls for Warlord
(May) and at the event, I lettered on over two dozen of them, including the
names on nine of them. Remember, we got flooded after just one day.

I lettered text on 5 of the Warlord Original Scrolls and put names on the
other
two of the seven we "team-did", if that's a word. I did the text and name on
last
year's (belated) Steppes Artisan scroll and the text for this year's Artisan
scroll. ( Ask Mistress Aslyn and Countess Sara Penrose about the Artisan
scroll lettering!--impish giggle--)

I did some "Drive-By-Scribe" stuff on six scrolls at the event of Glaslyn's
Artisan of the Flame (August), matching the text lettering style of another
scribe who couldn't come. (My forte is analyzing Period hands and
extrapolating
from the details to design letters that weren't on the paper or weren't in
use yet
and make them visually "fit." Actually have a big book in progress about
that... Sold prototypes of it at a Known World A&S class I taught a few
years back, even.)

Plus, to get people interested in the SCA, I did some "Letter your name for
free"
 stints at Glaslyn's Irving Mall thing and at the annual Catapault Challenge
at
Westwood Middle School in Richardson, plus at a demo at SMU. Maybe
some other places I can't recall. (I blame that on turning 64 this Sept.
14th!)

I'd like to get in some painting, but the ink bottle keeps getting in the
way of my palette, especially when someone's in need of a scribe. Seems
there are more painters/illuminators than scribes... I envy you guys...

My husband (who doesn't "play") has given me a very broad hint--he bought me
a deluxe vacuum cleaner! Could it be I've been neglecting a few things? ;-)

OK, guys, TAG!, you're it for the next "whatcha doin, huh?"

Lady Lete Bithespring--Steppes, Ansteorra

"Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?"--Unkn.