[Scriptoris] Calligraphy teaching

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 9 16:53:03 PDT 2003

--- Diane Rudin <serena1570 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> (2)  Not enough *scribes* (e.g., calligraphers).  We've got lots of people
> who want to paint, and draw, but there seems to be a dearth of people who
want to write.  How do we recruit more people who want to write?

Bingo!!  This is the very thing I was talking about at the Ansteorran
Heraldic and Scribal Symposium. The Charter Painting has been developed and
is generally working very well; but we now need to focus on more training of
more original scroll work and calligraphy from those ready to take the next
step.   And guys, unfortunately, it's going to take more time than a 1 hour
class at a collegium.  I've gone to modern scribal classes where it took all
weekend to learn a single script, but when you left you had a very good
knowledge of how to do the hand, and where to work on your weaknesses, and
lots of 'bench tricks'.  Lots of repetition and lots of practice.  We can
teach the same way in the SCA, if the scribes are willing to take the time.
Hillary