[Scriptoris] commissions

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 10 17:15:37 PDT 2003

Someone said something about being afraid or unsure about how to accept payment for
a scroll when that person receiving it has done so much work, and should get it for
free... balderdash!

In history and today, the scribes are paid for by the person who gives the scrolls
away (the queen, the president's office, the corporation, etc.).  While you could
say our Crown's give payment via awards, yes that is true (and this kingdom
recognizes our scribes a lot more than some others... thank and keep it up!).

However, the structure we have does not afford our system to make payment to the
many scribes for their work.  But, if someone makes arrangements for a commission,
there are many ways to accept payment for your work besides money.

* Barter with them for something of their skill (garb, armor, etc.), or a service
(feastocrat at your next event).
* Money is perfectly OK, as it will allow you to purchase another book, or go to
events.  I find most SCA'ers way undercharge for their artwork, but I also don't
think the SCA market will pay the real-market price for those goods, so you have to
consider that when suggesting a price for your scrolls.
* And last, if you really want to do the work, but don't want to go broke doing it,
then ask the person to cover your expenses, the paper (including test runs), some
paint portion, etc.  That way you are still donating your time and skills but your
not going broke while doing it.