[Scriptoris] The Evil Side of Scribal Escalation...

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 11 16:39:35 PDT 2003

Thanks for that Serena, it inspired me.

I'm reading a small book called 'Art & Fear' by David Bayles, Ted Orland
Publisher: Consortium Book Sales & Dist; 1 edition (April 1, 2001)
ISBN: 0961454733

It's a little book and an easy read.  One of the things it says is that the creation of the one
final object, is done through the experimentation with hundreds of others.  Essentially, the only
way we are going to get there is through study and practice, and hours of solitary work, till we
learn our craft.  And even then we will not be through learning.
Hillary

--- Diane Rudin <serena1570 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> ...or, You Don't Have To Be A Laurel To Do An Original Document
> by Serena Lascelles
>
> Gather 'round, children, and I will tell you tales of Long Ago.
>
> Once upon a time, in the kingdom of Ansteorra, a shy young girl calling herself
> Serena Lasair (no, I am not making this up!) was asked by her shire's event
> steward to create some prize commemoratives for an upcoming event.  As she had
> dabbled in the art of scribing years before, she accepted.  While working on
> them at the event, she spilled a bottle of ink all over her clothes.  Her blue
> silk sash, symbol of her membership in the Ansteorran College of Bards, was
> ruined.  That ink soaked through seven layers of fabric to stain her skin.  Not
> a drop of ink landed on the document that she was working on.

<snip>