[Scriptoris] post from calontire scribes

Coastal Regional Scribe coastal_scribe at ansteorra.org
Wed Sep 24 08:52:40 PDT 2003

From: aheilvei <aheilvei at uiuc.edu>
Subject: [CalontirScribes] Book reviews request
To: CalontirScribes at yahoogroups.com
[Show all headers] [Printer-friendly version]

Would anyone with an interest in scribal work please email me the
following - OFF LIST (as I do not regularly read this list):

A book title and author of a book you use/like for scribal work and
why you like that book for scribal work. Including things such as
ISBN and publishing information would also be appreciated but I can
probably track those things down with the title and author. I don't
want to make it too difficult or time consuming. You can also list
any drawbacks the book has (but please don't 'trash' it) and if you
think the book is beginner, intermediate, or for the advanced.

I'm going to try compiling a list of books with a variety of
reviewers and I figure this is a good place to begin asking for
those. And yes, I do plan to 1) give this away in printed form and
2) make it available on the web when it's completed.

Yes, you will be credited for your review and I am planning to make
this into something to be handed around so if you would rather your
name not appear, please say so. If you don't wish to be part of
something that will be given away, please don't contribute. Sorry,
but I'd rather not compile a bibliography and then have someone on
page 8 say that they don't want their review included. If you wish
to contribute more than one book, that's great, but please
understand that if you review 6 books not all of your reviews may be
included (since some people will obviously review the same book).

Anyone else can feel free to forward this to lists or people they
think might be interested in contributing or find it interesting.
Please also stress that I'm not asking anyone to go through their
library and critique every book they have on the subject, one or two
per person should be get a long list as it is! :)

Sample:
"The Painted Page: Italian Renaissance Book Illumination 1450-1550"
by Alexander, Armstrong, Mariani. Printed in 1994.
If you want inspiration for an Italian piece, this is the book. It
has examples as well as great descriptions of the pieces, much of
the detailing that is lost in other books comes through beautifully
with this printing. The essays give background on the cultural and
political atmosphere of the time, including a section on Italian
miniatures. I highly recommend it for the essays as well as the
great photos. Review by Despina de la Brasov, Middle Kingdom

Thank you,
Smiles,
Despina de la Brasov
Middle Kingdom