[Scriptoris] rewarding scribes

Crystal Lamb clamb at Advocacyinc.org
Mon Dec 29 08:09:35 PST 2003

Ahhh.....*now* we're to the heart of the matter.  I've enjoyed reading this thread over oatmeal and coffee whilst Nic is back asleep again with Barney this morning.  And I've loved all your great suggestions and can understand where you are coming from.

Everyone's need for compensation (be that in whatever form - from a hug to supplies to barter) comes from where they were when they began their respective project.  It is my understanding that this particular thread is centering around compensating the artisan not commissioned for a Peerage scroll.  So, it appears that all suggestions to date have touched on the needs that every individual artisan comes to his or her project:  out of mere love for the commissioner or "gotchaee":  a hug and the element of "gotcha" will do (some of my most satisfying and rewarding moments, actually).  For the habitual midnight before the event scroll producer:  a steady supply of "supplies" is a fantastic way of supporting our artisans (and a great idea!), and encouraging them to continue what they are doing.  For those that are entering into relationships with recepients, perhaps monetary - or even bartering of items - is an *excellent* (and period, mind you) form of recognition.

But this is what I really think should be instituted in Ansteorra by Crowns, and continued:  handing out original (and replacement) scrolls in Court....and recognizing the scribes.  What if some wonderful illumination was done - and the illuminator was present?  Have him or her recognized.  Heck....I even think it should be taken a step further.  No, not another Order....etc.  Just a favor....a small token from the hand of the Crown if the Crown is pleased.  But the populace should see the work of the scribe and should know who the scribe was that made it (that is, if the scribe is not at home collapsed in a tub of hot water).

Most scribes are, I've notice, by nature mostly humble beings when it comes to  - it's true.  They really would not prefer to be drug up in Court and singled out for their self-sacrificing nature.    And yes....it is a lot of fun to sit in the back of Court and grin like an idiot when your baby is shown and to hear to ooohhhs and aaaaaaaahs...and to see your recepient grin like an idiot.  I don't think we want to stop that.  I just think the Kingdom (through its populace) and Crown needs to make that connection - a visulization.  Nothing overdone.  Just a quickie.

(And oh yeah....hand and neck massages for scribes should be on-going - the perfect thank you, I say - just a thought).

Well, Prince Charming is up.  Ya'll have a Happy New Year.

~Aslyn