[Scriptoris] Re: Scriptoris Digest, Vol 7, Issue 9

N.D. Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Jan 2 07:03:48 PST 2004

hi, delurking for a minute and after reading all my mail totally non-linear
and in no particular order, I have a couple of questions.

First, I'm curious if somewhere there is a list or chart of how many hours
each scribe has worked, as a scribe.  I know mundanely, libraries, have
charts of volunteer hours people sign in and do and was curious if scribes
has ever thought about doing that for charter painting tables or how many
charters people have painted.  While I don't think it should become
mandatory or anything, I think a nice think you for someone who
consistently worked their and produces scrolls should get a thank you.

Secondly, with all the discussions everyone is having about giving
recognition for scrolls and charters given out.... I think a display of the
scrolls with a brief description is a great idea.  I very much remember
Asylyn's scroll she did with the very fine calligraphy on it and I also
have the opportunity of seeing Serena's scroll for Edwin.  Perhaps, at Arts
and Sciences venues as well as others, we could ask for space to have a
display regularly for recently done scrolls.   I know the Barony of Bryn
Gwlad has some portable trellises that could be set up with s-hooks to hold
framed scrolls.  we could post the name of the Scribe, the type of scroll
and any appropriate fact (sort of like an art gallery.)   Having a display
of recent works, and doing it consistently would draw attention to artwork
and any artist that was doing a lot of work.  It wouldn't have to be at
only art venues but that's a good place to starts since many artisans and
people who normally judge artwork would be there.

	I think the old practise of having names written on the back of painted
charters is a good thing.   Not only does it give the recipient a name to
the person painting a scroll but it allows the guild principal and the Star
Signet a chance to remember who is doing what....

	Hopefully, this all makes sense I haven't had much coffee yet this  morning...

Sign,

Clare R. St. John
delurking.....