[Scriptoris] Recommended books

Elaine Crittenden letebts at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 17 09:06:09 PST 2004

We had a thread going on this topic a while back. Here's a revival, and my
contribution to the thread:

I have been cataloging some of my library, an extensive project, as I have
been collecting calligraphy books for over 30 years!, and came across a book
that I had neglected for a while. An astonishing book in its scope and
detail. I strongly recommend it for beginners if they can afford only one
book. Albeit it's expensive, it is more than worth it. It compiles
everything in one volume on subjects that I have shelves and shelves of
books denoting. It is also excellent for review for even the most
experienced SCA calligraphers/illuminators. It should be among the first to
rescue in case of fire!

It is Patricia Lovett's "The British Library Companion to Calligraphy,
Illumination and Heraldry: A History and Practical Guide." ISBN
0-7123-4680-5 Published in 2000 by The British Library, London. (I bought
it, still in an immaculate dust jacket, at a 1/2 price used book store for
$19.98.)

The nitty-gritty:
320 pp., over 250 illustrations, including 175 plates in full color
The author: Patricia Lovett, author and Chair of the Calligraphy and
Lettering Arts Society of Britain, Fellow level.
Contributors (not a bad lot either--snicker, snicker):
    Hermann Zapf, author and type designer (Remember "Zapf Chancery,"
"Palatino," and "Melior" fonts on your computer?)
    Michelle P. Brown, author and Curator of Illuminated Manuscripts of the
British Library, London
    Rosemary Sassoon, author and authority/consultant on handwriting
    Hubert Chesshyre, author and Clarenceux KIng of Arms at the College of
Arms, London, and "one of England's most senior full-time heralds"
    Timothy Noad, herald painter at the College of Arms, London

You could do *much* worse by not having it as a first-grab reference book,
expecially if you have limited space or funds.

Lete Bithespring
("Jes' tryin' ta be he'pful...")