[Scriptoris] Blessed Alcuin of York's Day - May 19th

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Fri May 21 09:49:56 PDT 2004

Greetings Scribes,
I received the following missive from the Medieval Saints list, that posts the daily saint
festivals.   Alcuin is a personal favorite of mine, as he is the designer/developer of the
Carolingian scripts at Charlemaine's request, and it quickly became the dominant script of the
west.  Enjoy his story below.
Hillary
Ansteorran Scribal Historian

Blessed Alcuin of York's Day, May 19

Blessed Alcuin of York, Abbot
Also known as Alhwin, Alchoin, Alrinus, Albinus, Flaccus
Died 804 at Tours, France of natural causes
His cult is unconfirmed, commemorated May 19

Under Alcuin's direction the school at Aachen became one of the
greatest centers of learning in Europe. He was the moving force and
spirit of Carolingian renaissance and made the Frankish court the
center of European culture and scholarship.

Alcuin of York
http://www-gap.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Alcuin.html

Alcuin of York was born into a high ranking family who lived near the
East Coast of England. He was sent to York where he became a pupil at
York cathedral school, Archbishop Ecgberht's School.

After being a pupil at Archbishop Ecgberht's School, Alcuin remained
there as a teacher, becoming headmaster of the school in 778. During
his time as a teacher at this school in York Alcuin built up a fine
library, one of the best in Europe, and made the school one of the
most important centres of learning in Europe. He wrote a long poem
describing the men associated with York's history before he left for
the continent.

In 781 Alcuin accepted an invitation from Charlemagne to go to Aachen
to a meeting of the leading scholars of the time. Following this
meeting, he was appointed head of Charlemagne's Palace School at
Aachen and there he developed the Carolingian minuscule, a clear
script which has become the basis of the way the letters of the
present Roman alphabet are written. Before leaving Aachen, Alcuin was
responsible for the most precious of Carolingian codices, now called
the Golden Gospels. These were a series of illuminated masterpieces
written largely in gold, often on purple coloured vellum.

The development of Carolingian minuscule had, although somewhat
indirectly, a large impact on the history of mathematics. It was a
script which was much more readable than the old unspaced capital
script which was in use before this and, as a consequence, most of
the mathematical works were freshly copied into this new script in
the 9th century. Most of the works of the ancient Greek
mathematicians which have survived do so because of this copying
process and it is the 'latest' version written in minuscule script
which has survived.

Not only was Alcuin headmaster of Charlemagne's Palace School at
Aachen but he also was a personal friend to Charlemagne and became
the teacher of his two sons. In fact Alcuin lived in Aachen for two
periods, during the years 782 to 790 and then again from 793 to 796.

In 796 Alcuin retired from Charlemagne's Palace School at Aachen and
became abbot of the Abbey of St Martin at Tours, where he had his
monks continue to work with the Carolingian minuscule script. While
in Tours Alcuin arranged for some of his pupils to go to York to
bring some of the rarer works that he had collected there back to
Tours. He wrote:-

"I say this that you may agree to send some of our boys to get
everything we need from there and bring the flowers of Britain back
to France that as well as the walled garden in York there may be off-
shoots of paradise bearing fruit in Tours."

Alcuin wrote elementary texts on arithmetic, geometry and astronomy
at a time when there was just beginning a renaissance in learning in
Europe, a renaissance mainly led by Alcuin himself. His lesson books
were written in a question - and - answer format. However his work in
this area, unlike the inspired calligraphy he developed, shows little
originality.

Late in his life Alcuin summed up his own career with a rather
beautiful description:-

"In the morning, at the height of my powers, I sowed the seed in
Britain, now in the evening when my blood is growing cold I am still
sowing in France, hoping both will grow, by the grace of God, giving
some the honey of the holy scriptures, making others drunk on the old
wine of ancient learning..."

More on Alcuin at:
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01276a.htm
http://www.saintpatrickdc.org/ss/0519.htm#alcu