[Scriptoris] Darius' Comments with Hillary's notes

Ansteorra Star Signet star_signet at ansteorra.org
Tue Jan 20 20:26:08 PST 2004

My comments follow inline after the point being commented upon

> This is a recording of the meeting notes from the Scribes gathering at the
Round Table in
> Ansteorra on January 17, 2004.  Star Signet is Darius of the Bells, there
were 13 in attendance.

> * New charter masters are being distributed. The black crop box is gone,
but there are less
> obtrusive crop marks still showing.
>
> * Some new charter designs have been approved and will be distributed
soon.

Well only one, the Golden Lance by HL Ceinwen. I am still waiting for more
designs to be submitted

> * The arts copyright release for charter designs, specifically, has been
approved at kingdom, and
> will be online by Monday.  The release in the BlackStar for arts and
publications/articles also
> works.  One release will be needed for each piece of artwork/charter.  No
blanket releases may be
> used.
>
> * Older charter scrolls will be retired, but not destroyed. They will sit
fallow for a time, then
> re-released if still viable, so the scroll art stock does not become dull.
>
> * There is a link to the Scribes page on the Arts & Sciences, as well as
Heralds webpages.

> * There is a need for new artwork, needing more styles.  The needs lists
will be published online
> next week.  Ansteorra currently has lots of Celtic, Renaissance
(Visconti), and 1 Runic.  The list
> of wants include more Runic, a Celtic A0A, some Northern and Eastern
European.

Not Runic, Norse in Style Court Heralds are easily confused (I was) Other
than that see the charter Table uploaded to the site today.

> * Simple AoA's are wanted, easy to paint in a quick time period.
>
> * Teachers are needed to teach Charter layout and design concepts, so
artisans can begin creating
> new scrolls for charters.
>
> * There was some discussion about Prizes and competitions for Scroll
designs, but many felt that
> would not motivate the artisans to much work on designs.
>
> * Art Direction - some charters are too complex.  Some have cross-hatching
whichshould not be
> used, and is generally removed by the charter editor, where large open
spaces would work better
> for new painters, and more experienced painters can use the space with
detailing to enhance.
> Simple designs give more options.
>
> * Editing - check with the artist for any final changes.  Except for text
changes, overall changes
> are not done.
>
> * Tracking of charters - some discussion on whether the art director
(usually Star Signet) should
> track corrections to scrolls as per date of change, location and type of
change.

> * Hillary Greenslade was announced as a scribal deputy to Signet, as
Historian.  History lists
> will be created and posted online, as well as old scroll art collected for
a scrapbook, and some
> postings on regular basis.  Older articles or scrolls where authors or
artisans are unknown will
> be posted online, where wanted, with a disclaimer that if its claimed as
yours, and you want it
> removed, this will be done.  That will allow posting of old items, not
currently author
> identified. A bit of history trivia - scribes was once under two masters:
Heraldry and Arts.

> * Hillary has provided Darius copies of the old Scribal newsletter,the
A.D.O.N.I.S., in electronic
> and hardcopy formats.  After checking for release rights, there are plans
to place it online for
> all to see.
>
> * Hillary provided Darius copies in electronic and hardcopy of the
outstanding, and now edited,
> from 1999, Scribal Handbook that Mistress Rayah initiated.  This will also
go online, after
> identification of authors on some articles and release rights are
completed. Following online
> posting of the current set, more articles to include will be solicited.
>
> * Darius plans more heraldic titles for the scribal regionals, and other
deputy offices.

> * There was a question about the summer meeting at the Ansteorran Scribal
and Heraldic >Symposium, and the ideas to split off the Heralds college, to
become a lesser kingdom office.  >Darius confirmed that it will not be his
motivation to do so.  It was discussed that as there is no >known animosity
or issues between the College of Heralds and Scribes, then there is no
reason for
> independence.

The principal point being Star Signet will always be a deputy position
wether to the MOAS or to Star Principal. Since we work with the awards
remaining part of the COH makes more sense. (that is also where our nifty
titles like Star Signet, Sable Scroll, Golden Scroll, Etc come from)

> * There are a select group of award holders who regularly do not receive
scrolls, as the awards
> are typically done on the field, and no scroll is available. This includes
Centurians, Falcons,
> etc.  This is for Grant level and below awards, only, that are charter
based. Recipients of those
> scrolls must submit proof of the award receipt.   A new deputy to Star was
created to take care of
> any backlog and future needs in seeing those scrolls are created and
presented.  The first deputy
> is Sara Penrose, and a heraldic title is being sought.  (Sara was partial
to 'Golden Scribe').

I have confered with Star Principal and the office title shal be Golden
Scroll. Please give HE Sara any help you can while she sets up and initiates
this office. It is not an easy task to try to build a new office in an
existing structure.

> * It was asked of the room, which scribes are interested in making
handmade peerage and nobility
> scrolls, several volunteered they were ready to take commissions.
>
> * Darius requested that Peerages interested in commissioning a scroll to
contact him, and he can
> provide a list of scribes interested in doing scroll works.  A difference
between Patent and
> Achievement scrolls was discussed (for those interested, see scroll text
document online at
> Heralds site. )   Hillary volunteered to post a notice to the Pelican
list, Darius stated that the
> Laurels had already been queried, if they wanted to commission scrolls.
>
> * Mistress Clare volunteered that she has access to the reference
department at the UT library and
> can take home books not regularly permitted, if scans or copies are
wanted.

> * Education - there is a need to get folks working on handmade Achievement
scrolls, most of our
> scribes are self-taught.  All are encouraged to begin teaching, when
possible.  Darius is seeking
> ideas for educational incentives. The concept of the Treasure Herald for
training has not been
> very successful in the past.
>
> * Darius plans to train folks to do the Signet job. Most of us take the
job as artisans, but have
> no management or organizations training, which is primary to the office.

My intent in this assertion was that there is a preception that the Star
Signet Position is the top C&I artist in the Kingdom, while in truth it is
primarily an administrative job, albeit one that requires an understanding
of the arts being dealt with. I will be working with several scribes and
illuminators to ensure the administration of college has a firm foundation
in the future.

> * There was a suggestion to send scribal information to each branch
chronicler within the kingdom
> on an 8.5 x 5.5 broadsheet, in order to spread information.
>
> * Regionals - the western regions needs scribal teachers to visit.  Darius
taught a class there
> recently and had 12 students.  Yes, there is scribal interest in the west.
>

> Here endeth the posting of the minutes.
> If there are any corrections or additions, please post as needed.
> Yours in service, Mistress Hillary Greenslade

Thank you Mistress Hillary for providing these notes

In Service to Crown and Kingdom
Darius of the Bells, OL
Star Signet

scribe.ansteorra.org