[Scriptoris] Reference items for ringbinder

Elaine Crittenden letebts at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 9 17:38:11 PST 2004

May I make another suggestion that has served me well..for decades?
[Thank you for your kind permission.  ;-)  ]

For a black ink reference page for a particular brand of paper:
(Prepare for your ringbinder samples of each of the papers you think you
might *ever* use for a project.) Vertically, make a series of square boxes
(1/2 inch square, for me), each square box followed in a horizontal line by
a rectangular box of the same height. Be sure to use waterproof ink for the
lines.

Keep the paper flat for the following test line:
A. In the square box, flood the box with a particular brand of black ink
(notated, of course).

B.In the rectangular box, lightly flood distilled water. On the left
vertical line of the rectangular box, make a stroke of the same ink from top
to bottom in the lightly wet area. Let it "bleed" as far right as it wants
to go on its own.

C. Using a medium sized nib, do 3-6 letters on the dry paper.

D. Using a pointed nib, start at the base line and lightly do some
"grasshopper" arcs, lifting at the end of the stroke like an airplane taking
off from the paper.

Each ink's line will look like this:

Notation

Square Box    Rectangle        Letters       Arcs

The above will give you black ink reference data as to the
A. mass color of the black and if it is shiny or matte in appearance,

B. how well it shades and if it tends to brown or black or neutral and
whether or not it is "grainy" or "smooth",

C. how "crisp" the edges of a stroke will be on that kind of paper, and

D. how thin the thins can get if you need to "touch up" some part of your
work on that paper.

Now do the next line of box, rectangle, broad edge pen stroke and pointed
pen stroke with another brand of ink on that same page.

To have a complete set, do all the above on each brand of paper.

I know it sounds like a lot of work, but it *is* worth it.
You could do it with all the colors of a brand (eg. Winsor-Newton) or lots
of brands of, say, Cadmium Red Light.

Winter is not over yet and the above might be an on-going project if you
want to do something else productive while indoors.

Have fun---and don't dip your nib/brush in your drink like I did!

Lete