[Scriptoris] Drawing boards

Elaine Crittenden letebts at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 10 11:06:10 PDT 2004

When I used to sell lapboards/drawing boards at my calligraphy shop, my
husband bought tempered Masonite boards, the smooth ones, not perforated,
and cut them to my specs. I also had him drill a couple of holes (widely
separated) at one end for a soft rope to be tied through, for ease in
transporting the large, rectangular board (like a purse).

Just about anything could work for a board, though. You might even try a
sandwich of foamcore boards taped at the edges with duct tape!

Of course, you should use several sheets as padding when scribing, as
Hillary suggested. The number of sheets are adjustable per what you need to
do. Just try not to use too many or a heavy hand might perforate the paper
on which you are working.

The lap board, for those unfamiliar with the term, means a board that you
angle for work by having the base in your lap and the middle of the board's
back pressing against a surface like a table edge. That makes the degree of
angle adjustable by how far you sit from the support for the board.

Now, why angle the work surface? An angled surface takes the stress off your
shoulder muscles, and you won't get as tired. Too, you will have less
"blobbing" due to the lessening of gravity's pulling the ink down from your
nib, as it would if the nib is nearly vertical. This is particularly
important during days when the barometric pressure is low, like during a
rainy spell. High pressure days inhibit the ink flow more.

But then, again, I have probably told you more than you want to know...
Chalk it up to my "vast past" and my garrulous old age...  ;-)

Lete

----------
>From: Hillary Greenslade <hillaryrg at yahoo.com>
>To: Lady Eibhlin <ladyeibhlin at yahoo.com>, scribes <scriptoris at ansteorra.org>
>Subject: [Scriptoris] Drawing boards
>Date: Thu THOct 7,2004,1:05 PM
>

> --- Lady Eibhlin <ladyeibhlin at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Hillary,
>> I went looking for a lapboard for calligraphy today at Hobby Lobby.  They
> didn't know what I was
>> talking about.  I know Texas Art Supply has them, but they are way across
> town.  Do you know
>> where to get them on the west side?
>> Eibhlin
>
> Ah, terms... ask for a 'drawing board'.   It's often where the art paper
> and paints are.
> The one I recommend is a STAEDTLER Wooden Drawing Board, see on this
> Michaels site at:

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayProductPage?productNum=fa0050&chan
nelid=