[Scriptoris] seeking painted charters for a library...

Kimberly Koch sarapenrose at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 7 14:49:46 PST 2005

Unless there's been a change of which I am unaware,
you don't need to destroy painted scrolls that have
been retired, although I've run into a number of
people who have that impression.

Retiring a charter usually means that it is pulled
from the set of masters and is no longer reproduced
and distributed. It does *not* mean that you can't use
the ones you already have in your possession.

Charters are retired for a number of reasons - most
often, it's just to get new charters into circulation.
Occasionally, they're retired for spelling, text, or
spacing issues, but even those are usually *very*
minor. When I was Signet, I happily accepted any
painted charter - retired or not - because any minor
flaws in the text were never reason enough to discard
a well-painted scroll.

I'm sure Darius can tell us if that policy has
changed.

Sara

--- Chiara Francesca Arianna d'Onofrio <chiara at io.com>