[Scriptoris] Re: [Scribes] Calligraphy Conference in TX- July 23-30

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Fri May 6 10:35:09 PDT 2005

--- Felicia Forder <feliciamccann at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dear Scribes
> An international calligraphy conference is being held
> near Dallas/Forth Worth (DFW)airport.This meeting attracts
> between 300-400 calligraphers from around the world. An
> array of 30+ classes is being offered, several that apply
> to SCA, for example, Medieval Methods of Work. I will be
> attending and would appreciate knowing of other SCA members
> who are going.
<snip>
> Yours In Service,
> Felicia Forder
> (Lady Felicia von Finsterwalder)

Greetings Felicia, et all,
I will be attending the modern international calligraphy conference in July, immediately following
the SCA Known World Heraldic and Scribal Conference.   I'm now driving from Houston to Dallas for
my flight to KWHSS, then back to Dallas for the conference 'Legacies', then drive home to
Houston... luckily, I enjoy travel.   So, we will have to make a plan to get together with any
other SCA'ers there, HL Lete of the Steppes will be there for some.

(Note to self - next years KWHSS should plan different weekends than the same as the International
Calligraphy Conference... whew!)

There will be a lot to do at the conference, even for those not taking workshops during the day:
Scribes General Store:  faculty & scribes from around the world, put original works on consignment
for all to purchase.  I've bought some very nice original works from faculty professionals.  Also,
this is where Paper and Ink Arts and John Neal Booksellers will be on hand - lots of tools,
supplies and books.

Show Exhibits: (these should be open to the public, I'd think)
- Participants show
- Faculty show - they usually have one of these, but I haven't seen advertisement of it.
- Sheila Waters Show - also, I read that there was to be a show of the last 50 years of this
wonderful lady's work, but  I can find the date or time... but it'll probably happen.

Embellishments Expo - the Legacies Commercial Trade Show - will feature vendors of bookbinding
supplies, handmade paper and brushes, unique and original art supplies and more.  Sat. Jul 23 -
Monday 25th.  Admission free to conference participants and $5. to non-attendees.

Decorative Envelope Contest - a favorite at the modern conferences. Decorate an envelop with
calligraphy and illumination and mail to 'Legacies, 25th International Lettering Arts Conference,
PO Box 3126, Coppell, Tx.  75019', by May 31st.  The envelopes will be on display during the
conference, and published in a onsite booklet.  Five award categories:  Elegant, Humorous,
Creative Use of Materials, Painterly and Best of Show (Southwest/Texas theme).  You don't have to
be attending the conference to enter this contest .... lets show these scribes what kind of work
the SCA calligraphers can do, huh?

Cheers, Hillary Greenslade / Ansteorra