[Scriptoris] Ansteorran Heraldic and Scribal Symposium

Kimberly Koch sarapenrose at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 17 08:44:34 PDT 2005

Hi all!

The Shire of Middleford is hosting the next Ansteorran
Heraldic and Scribal Symposium on August 20, 2005 in
Killeen, TX at Central Texas College. The event is
FREE for everyone.

I am assisting the autocrat of this event in finding
instructors for the scribal track. They've generously
set aside two rooms for us, in addition to space for
charter painting, so we have 14 1-hr class slots that
we can fill! So far, they've nearly filled the
heraldic tracks, but only a couple of people have
contacted the class coordinator with scribal classes.

I know we have a great number of immensely talented
scribes and illuminors out there, so I'd love to see
these slots get filled with some great classes.

Need ideas? How about:

Designing charters
Designing original scrolls
Painting charters
Diapering
Whitework
Acanthus leaves
Making ink
Making paint
Period pigments
Gold leafing
Tooling gold
Beginning calligraphy
Specific calligraphic hands (Uncial, Carolingian, etc)
Drafting for scribes
Heraldry for scribes
Period legal documents
Celtic knotwork
Tools and materials
Bar and ivy borders
Trompe l'oeil (squashed bug) illumination
Icons
Drolleries in illumination
Painting landscapes
Painting figures
Correcting mistakes - period and modern methods
Bookbinding
Vellum making
History of the written word
Scribal offices in Ansteorra
A critique session or roundtable
College of Scribes meeting (hint, hint Darius!)

And so forth! There are lots of other good topics -
anything about calligrpahy, illumination, books,
vellum, paint, etc. would be appropriate.

All, please consider teaching a class at this event -
it's always a really fun event that gives us a chance
to hang out with each other and our heraldic brethren,
compare notes, and learn new things.

If you'd like to teach, please contact the class
coordinator, Magnus von Lubeck, at
debell1 at txcyber.com. In order to avoid being
personally harrassed by me about teaching a class,
please cc me when you contact him. :)

Thanks so much for your help! I'm looking forward to
hearing from you. Personal harrassment begins
Wednesday. Don't say I didn't warn you. ;)

Warmest regards,
Mistress Sara Penrose