[Scriptoris] need id of illum

Diane Rudin serena1570 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 20 22:15:33 PDT 2005

Ches wrote:

> http://www.glove.org/illum/tripleheaddragon.jpg
>
> Can anyone tell me who the artist is and what the time period it is from?
> Where did this come from?
>
> I was given this as a reference for dragons long ago but do not have
> anything in my files for all the above info. Any help would be appreciated.

Artist?  No idea.

Time period:  judging by the clothing on the men, combined with the
taxidermy-style illumination in the box around the dragon, and some other
clues, I'd say early 16th century, between about 1520-1540.  Place is likely
Italy, although could be France, Spain, the Netherlands, or Germany.  I might
be able to guess better if I could view a larger, more detailed resolution of
this, to check the architectural background clues, not to mention that coronet,
better.

What information *do* you have, or were you sent a lonely jpg with no
acquisition number, context, other pages, or any other clues as to, say, which
museum it might be from?

--Serena