[Scriptoris] Workshop supply list

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 12 16:48:02 PDT 2005

With the Ansteorran Heraldic and Scribal Symposium coming up next weekend, thought
some of you might enjoy a small reminder on what to bring to the classes.
There maybe one or two classes requiring supplies, but here is a list from off
the Houston Calligraphy Guild site about taking workshops.
Not all of this relates to the SCA, but it maybe of interest.
What should I bring?
by Cindy Haller, 1997

One assumes that when a workshop supply list is sent for an upcoming workshop, the participant
need only bring what is on that list. A visiting instructor may assume that students will
automatically include basic items in their workshop kits, and fail to include them in the list.

Having attended more workshops than most of the membership, I have often been miffed when I had
brought JUST what was requested, but didn’t include some of my “comfort” items. Perhaps the
following will be of help to some of our newer members:

LETTERING WORKSHOPS

assorted sizes of dip pen nibs - Speedball “C” series in the larger sizes, Rexel/Mitchell
Roundhand, Tape or Brause for the smaller nibs.
Note: When purchasing Rexel/Mitchell nibs, don’t forget to purchase the small gold triangular
reservoirs that fit on the underneath side of the nibs.

pen holders

small square of 600 wet/dry sandpaper to re-hone dulled nibs

pen wipe - rag, paper towels, tissues

toothbrush to clean nibs

black water-soluble ink - Pelikan Fount India and Higgins Eternal are most requested

small water container (pimiento jar or mason jar) to flush ink from nibs

lap board

pencils, hard and soft lead; plastic eraser (Mars Staedtler or Pentel Clic erasers are good)

T-square (metal) and perhaps a triangle

drafting tape

layout paper (most instructors wish students to work on 11 x 14 inch or larger paper)

good paper - Arches 90# or 140# Hot Press is a good off-white paper; Canson Mi Tientes comes in
about 30 colors and is 66% rag; Stonehenge; Rives BFK, etc.

paper for taking notes

FOR WORK IN GOUACHE, ADD:

several colors of gouache (stick with AA or A permanency rating) - include zinc white (good for
mixing with other colors) and lamp or ivory black

mixing dishes/palette

mixing brushes - cheap bristle brushes

distilled water

FOR LAYOUT AND DESIGN, ADD:

tracing paper for reworking layout

some colored pencils or colored markers

glue stick

small cutting surface

Xacto™ knife with sharp blades; scissors

OPTIONAL:

Ames Lettering Guide for quickly ruling guidelines

drinking cup/glass

pillow for chair comfort

camera to record information (check with instructor before photographing their work)

C H O C O L A T E ! ! !

I hope that this list (which didn’t include the kitchen sink) will help
- Cindy Haller (workshop junkie)