[Scriptoris] A question of paper

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 6 09:04:19 PDT 2005

--- Meggan Cividanes <harperaria at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I have been working on designing some original scrolls as prizes for this year's Mooneschadowe
> Guardian. I, and my compatriot working on the calligraphy, are at a loss how ever as to what is
> the appropriate paper to copy this designs out onto, and where it can be purchased. Any
> suggestions would be very helpful as we are running short of time and need to get the scrolls
> printed/copied and painted! Thank you.
>

> With Joy in Service,
> Lady Lillias MacGuffin

My personal favorite is 'Fabriano Artistico' (140lb, hot press), but you will have to get it from
a art supply store - not at Hobby Lobby or Michaels.  Hobby Lobby or Michaels, check out Arches,
as Oriana mentioned, or Strathmore.  I prefer a 140lb weight, but will take a 90lb weight. Make
sure the paper states it's for 'use with ink', which will indicate it's not specifically for
watercolor (often a more textured paper).  Also, if you can find that it says 'hot press' that
will give a smoother surface that's good for calligraphy, cold press is too textured - ink may
blead with it.  At Hobby Lobby or Michaels, these papers will likely come in a pad, you can
possibly get a larger poster size sheet, but they tend to get mixed up in the bins, so check the
watermarks.