[Scriptoris] questions on colour

Ciard49@aol.com Ciard49 at aol.com
Sat Oct 15 06:42:29 PDT 2005

Hi Clare,

My palette includes Winsor & Newton gouache in these colors :

Cadmium Red pale    - bright red, Celtic red dot work,  etc
Spectrum Red           -  dark blood red (Heraldic Red)

Alizarin Crimson        - with white  makes that late period neon pink
Lemon Yellow            -  bright yellow

Spectrum Yellow        - Celtic instead  of metallic gold (Heraldic yellow)
Yellow  Ocher             -  all those Celtic tan colored borders
Red  Ocher                -  Celtic reddish colored borders,
                                -  with white makes lavender (clothing ala
the Luttrell Psalter (1350), etc,  )
                                 with more white - the flesh tones in
Luttrell, etc.
Ultra Marine blue       - with white makes  "baby blue"

I also have another blue     (Heraldic Blue)
                               less green than the Ultra Marine but can't
recall the name just now - help  ??!

Jet Black
Permanent White

I use permanent white to mix colors because it is the only tube of white I
have, and it works fine.

Chromium Oxide Green, only green I recommend, (Heraldic Green)
                            add  a little blue or black to darken or yellow
to lighten.

I taught a class recently that called for mixing green colors in foliage. I
was amazed at all the neon greens and just not right colors that students
brought to class.

I use Holbein Gouache Rich Gold for metallic. I think Winsor  Newton gold is
too coppery.

Thanks

HL Ciard O'Seachnasaigh