[Scriptoris] questions on colour

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 18 13:28:09 PDT 2005

--- nweders at mail.utexas.edu wrote:
> If I were to go to the store and get tubes of paint
> what brand of paint, type and color would I get?
> I'm asking for is everyone's favorite.
> Clare

I feel like this is somewhat a trick question, since you've been a scribe for a long, long time...
hum!

These are the colors I've been taught are the suggested standards for Ansteorran scrolls.  Other
paints can be added or substitued as the artisan prefers, but this is the list to get started
with, basically primary colors. Colors wanted in between these basic colors are mixed, such as
orange.

The standard paint preferred in Ansteorra is Gouache, with Windsor-Newton the preferred brand.
Some will use acrylics if they have them. Watercolors tend to fade over time, so are not
recommended.

Windsor-Newton Designers Gouache:
Permanent White - for white line work
Zinc White      - for mixing with other colors
Ivory Black
Spectrum Red
Golden Yellow   - a solid yellow, good as an Ansteorra yellow
Mistletoe Green - often needs mixing with a bit of zinc white, else can be streaky.
Ultramarine Blue- Navy blue
Cobalt Blue or Azure Blue - light blue
Raw Umber       - brown
Purples are very suspect, here are some suggestions:
Parma Violet    - reddish purple
Spectrum Violet - bluish purple

For gold, I prefer:
Holbein Designer Gouache, Pearl Gold or Brilliant Gold
Or
Schmincke Gouache, Gold Pearl.

Cheers, Hillary Greenslade