[Scriptoris] Ink used for gold paint on charters?

Aubree Pham muirenn at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 18:17:29 PST 2006

Please forgive me for the delay in my response!  Mundane life has a way of
catching up to one at the most inopportune moments. :P

I have had good luck with the Speedball super pigmented acrylic ink in
gold.  I find that it is very easy to work with and lays down nicely to let
the texture of the paper show through, which I find to be a very nice
effect.  I use a #3 and a #0 brush to lay it down, depending on the area I
want to cover.  I find the larger the brush used when painting larger areas,
the less chance of streaking.  I also use these brushes exclusively for the
gold, as I once made the mistake of using the same brush for both pigment
and metallic gold and ended up with sparkly cobalt blue (things I wish I had
been told when I first started painting :P).

The local Hobby Lobby sells 2 oz jars for $4.99, and you can't beat that
price!  Well, I suppose you can if you wait for a sale and use one of thier
40% off coupons. ;)

For anyone who would like to see completed scrolls using this ink, or play
around with it for themselves, I will be at Coronation and will happily let
others use some of mine.

I'd like to know what others use for metallic gold, and what degree of
success you've had with it.  I've only just started experimenting with gold
gouache, and will report back on my results!

-Kat