[Scriptoris] book on flourishes

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 11 16:51:16 PST 2006

--- Aubree Pham <muirenn at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think her book habit rubs off on a lot of people. :P
> -Kat

BTW - I found a fun little paperback book at Half-Price Books on flourishes, that's also available
at John Neal Books (#B1994) for $17.00, but at Half_Price it was less than $10.
John Neal's review:

Calligraphic Flourishing, A New Approach to an Ancient Art
by Bill Hildebrandt. 1995. 132pp. 7"x10". Paper. "Flourishing" here covers swashes, cadels,
cartouches, and intricate knotwork patterns used to embellish letters, text or as stand alone
ornaments. Hildebrandt covers the strokes and principles for proper flourishing, from simple
curves, spirals and loops to complex cadels and cartouches. His contagious sense of humor is
evident as is his long experience teaching calligraphy. Flourishes, like letters, can be done well
or badly & often a scribe attaches clumsy flourishes to decent letters. This book will help you
understand how to make decent embellishments.

I just picked it up on Friday, but it has little exercises, shows good vs. bad flourish choices,
and has some pages on Cadel capitals.  Looks like a good one for the scribe wanting to add a
little something to their calligraphy hands.

Check it out, Hillary