[Scriptoris] Powell's Books

Velvet Claw a_velvet_claw at yahoo.com.au
Wed Feb 1 14:07:05 PST 2006

Dear Scribes,

    On a google a couple of days ago, I encountered an on-line book shop that I've never seen before. This is a GREAT bookstore for non-Americans/British

http://www.powells.com/psection/psection.html

Check out the Art - Calligraphy and Illuminated Manuscript sections
They have LOTS of books from my wishlist, including used copies. Of course they'd don't have *everything*, but what they DO have is awfully impressive!

I e-mailed to get the low-down on sneaky additional prices that come in when you are shipping to a foreign country, and this is what they said :

-------------------

Thank you for writing to Powells.com. We do have books located in various retail stores and warehouses. This means that you can chose to have your order sent in one bulk shipment, or in various shipments.

If you chose to send the order in one bulk shipment then the prcessing time to ship will likely be 7 to 10 days and you will receive one shipping charge of $5.00 per shipment and $3.00 per item. (This is their surface shipping charge to outside America - flat rate. Air shipping is more expensive of course, but Powell's is still way way better than Amazon - Megan)
Our system is set up so that it defaults to sending your order in seperate shipments. This is because we are assuming that you would like the order sent out as soon as possible, but this also means that you would have seperate shipping charges.
When you place your order you will want to make sure that you click on the "consolidate order" button, which is located on the last page of the order form, (page 4 of 4.) This will insure that you receive a few shipping cost as possible. After you have consolidated your order you will then click on the "place order" button.

There are two exceptions I would like to bring to your attention.
All books located in our Chalmers warehouse, (this is the warehouse where most of our text books are located,) ship seperately and cannot be consolidated. Books located at this warehouse will ship in a seperate package. Also, any book on backorder or preorder will ship seperately when they arrive and will incur their own shipping charges.

I hope that this clarifies things for you. Clicking on the "consolidate order" button before you place your order is the key.

Best regards,
Isaac
Powells.com

Keeping ideas in circulation @
http://www.powells.com/

I hope this helps someone else out there -
Best,
Megan