[Scriptoris] Sable Crane or Thistle?

Meggan Cividanes harperaria at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 7 20:49:54 PST 2006

An excellent question!

In my personal experience, I recieved a Thistle a couple of years ago
for Illumination. At that time, the majority of my work was charter
painting, though I have a tendency to enjoy scrolls with large amounts
of tiny detail (I love white work!), and one summer (during college, I
was home and had nothing else to do) turned out about 40 scrolls that
have since -I believe, this was five years ago- all been given out. All
my work was painting, but I enjoyed looking up the originals the
scrolls were based on, and trying out period styles. Because of my art
background, I insisted that the scrolls be something I would be willing
and proud to hang on my own walls before I would consider them
complete.

I think that charter painting can definitely be Thistle 'or' Crane
appropriate. Someone who has painted many scrolls of quality to be
given out certainly deserves to be noted for their service to their
kingdom. I agree with what others have said that a thistle should be
for a specific aspect of that work. Mine was in illumination, as I have
very little experience with period calligraphy and had not done any. A
friend of mine's thistle in that area is actually stated very
specifically as 'brushwork.' If someone has done more original work,
calligraphy and illumination, or even illumination design (or some such
specific) would be appropriate. I feel 'now' that my thistle is more
appropriate as I have branched out and begun doing original
illumination pieces. One in "Charter Painting" would certainly be
appropriate for someone who paints scrolls but prefers not to do
original design.

I also liked the suggestion given earlier about putting someone in for
both. Since this is a subject that various crowns have different
feelings about, someone might get full credit for their work in both
areas, or one crown might see fit to give them a particular award
depending on their personal preferences in the matter.

I do think 'artwork' is too vague a term. Since it could apply to any
form of art, from sketching to oil painting to sculpture. Limning -just
a thought- might be good for someone who specifically 'designs' the
line drawing style charters we use in kingdom.

Lillias MacGuffin