[Scriptoris] Buying Books

Corbisier, Barbara L barb at tamu.edu
Mon Jan 30 16:01:42 PST 2006

Not sure what's available where you are, but have you tried Half-Price Books? I know I've seen some
of these there.  If there's not one nearby, let me know and I'll go check out the local one for you. I'm
planning on being at Kingdom A&S, so I could hand them over if you'll be there.

-Catherine Barbary

Velvet Claw <a_velvet_claw at yahoo.com.au> said:

> Dear Scribes,
>
>     I have talked about taking my superannuation out under the Disability allowances, and lo and
behold - it has arrived in my bank account!

>     I have been working on a wish list of books for many months, and was planning to buy them
Used from Amazon, except for a few that Meisterin Katarina has been incredibly kind enough to find
for me at lower priced US stores.

>     I ordered a few books as an initial order from Amazon the other day - poetry and cooking (yay
Moosewood!) books, and to my horror, was charged $US10 shipping and handling from each of the
second hand book shop owners on each book on top of the actual book price! It ain't easy being
green, and it ain't easy if you don't live in the U.S. (or England)

>      There are copies available of some of the books I want available in Australia, but because they
are in limited supply, they cost heaps. And heaps. (believe me, I've been looking)

>      So here I am.
>
>      *** do you have any books that you want to sell? **
>
>      I am happy to pay a good price for them - at very least the Used price given on Amazon, but if I
can buy then privately, I can at least get them surface shipping, and save an awful lot of money on
the shipping - which is kind of 'throwing money to the wind' - all too literally! It's not like I can read
and absorb them all at once!

>      I know John Neal (Hi John!) has some of these books - but if I can pay less for Used copies that
are gathering dust on a shelf, all the better. So do Paper Ink Arts.

>      My "I have to have or I'll just die" list is below. I'm using a significant proportion of my super
money to buy books that are meant to set me up in a Calligraphy library more or less for life.

>      My complete list is on Amazon - if you go to Amazon, and search on the Wishlist for "Megan
Mason"
> (Mason is my middle name) you'll see another couple of pages of books!
>
>     I've looked and can't find the 'Find a Wish List" thingy on Amazon's home page, so if you have
any troubles finding it, or getting into Amazon, and have books you want to sell, please feel very
very free to e-mail me
> and I'll send you a Word document with the complete list of titles.
>
>     Essential books
> =================
>
> * Drollery Designs in Illuminated Manuscripts :  Muriel Parker
>
> * Image on the Edge : The Margins of Medieval  :  Michael Camille
>
> * Medieval Beasts :  Ann Payne
>
> * Historical Scripts - From Classical Times to the Renaissance : Stan Knight. 1998 edition.
>
> * The Calligrapher’s Bible: 100 Complete Alphabets and How to Draw Them : David Harris. 2003.
>
> * Explicato Formarum Litterarum: The Unfolding of Letterforms : Rutherford Aris
>
> * Lettering : Degering, Hermann.
>
> * The Art of Color Calligraphy - A Complete Sourcebook of Color Calligraphy Techniques : Mary
Noble and Adrian Waddington.

> * The Illuminated Alphabet, : Timothy Noad and Patricia Seligman.
>          which is an earlier edition of
>     The Art of Illuminated Letters 1994 (either I think. I haven't been able to find mention of any
differences)

> * The Encyclopedia Of Calligraphy: A Step-by Step Visual Guide, with an Inspirational Gallery of
Finished Works : Mary Noble, Janet Mehigan

> *Understanding Illuminated Manuscripts: A Guide to Technical Terms (Looking At...) : Michelle P.
Brown

> * The Decorated Letter : Alexander, J.J.G.
>
> * Paint Your Own Illuminated Letters : Stefan Oliver
>
> * Calligraphy and Illumination: A History and Practical Guide : Patricia Lovett
>       or it’s British title - Calligraphy, Illumination and Heraldry
>
> * The Art of Illuminating as Practised in Europe from the Earliest Times Illustrated by Borders,
Initial Letters, and Alphabets : Timms

> * Humanistic script of the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries : Alfred J Fairbank
>
> *An Italic Copybook: The Cataneo Manuscript : Stephen Harvard,
>
> * Three Classics of Italian Calligraphy (The Writing Books of Arrighi, Tagliente, Palatino), : Ogg,
Oscar.

> * First Writing Book -  an English Translation and Facsimile : J. H. Benson
>
> * The Illuminated Page - Ten Centuries of Manuscript Painting : Janet Backhouse.
>
> * Books of Hours. : Janet Backhouse
>
> * The Luttrell Psalter : Janet Backhouse
>
> * A History of Illuminated Manuscripts (2nd ed – 1997), : De Hamel, Christopher.
>
> * Illuminated Manuscripts: The Exquisite Art of the Medieval Masterpiece, Gill, D.M.
>
> * Codices Illustres: The World’s Most Famous Manuscripts  : Ingo F. Walther, Norbert Wolf
>
> * The Medieval Book : Shailor, Barbara
>
> * Brush Lettering : Eliza Schulte and Marilyn Reaves. 1992.
>
> * Illuminated Lettering (A Beginner’s Art Guide) : Marie Lynskey
>
>  You can see they are mainly technique books, so at worse I can work from manuscripts on-line
whilst actually  having books on technique.

> Your help in this (enormous) task is very very greatly appreciated.
>
> Best,
>
> Megan (velvet claw)

Orationem pulchram non habens, scribo ista linea in lingua Latina.