[Scriptoris] Painting Techniques

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 1 15:55:11 PST 2006

Scribes,
I'm tired of seeing only posts come from me!  and only posts about meetings and guidelines!
Let talk about scribal arts! Yeah!

Painting techniques -
I took a class at KWHSS 2005 in Atenveldt on a few painting techniques.  I don't remember them
all, will try to find my handout tonight and share them.  If you guys have any to share - please
do.   Let's see this list be about education as well as information on scribal stuff in kingdom.

Lifting the Paint:
* Identify the section you want to paint.
* Paint the section with a light coat of water.
* Paint the section with regular mixed paint.
* While the section is still wet, dry the bristles of the brush by sqeezing between fingers (I
also sqeezed between paper towel), and lay down on section where you want to lift the paint back
up.  Don't place the brush back on the section or you will just lay back down the pigment you
lifted, but squeeze again, then lift.
* You have to work fast, or the pigment will have absorbed into the paper and not lift.
* As the painted section dries, you can rewet with water a bit, and re-lift... but take care, as
rewetting too many times, the paper begins to pulp.

This technique can give the piece the illusion of highlights, but in fact it's the white of the
paper showing through the thinned pigment area.  Try it!

Next up??