[Scriptoris] Re: Scriptoris Digest, Vol 34, Issue 6

gary and misty dagrthora at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 8 17:38:15 PST 2006

I believe that if someone deserves to be recognized for something that they are doing well, then they should be recognized.  It is, however, important to remember that when giving an award the individual submitting should be careful to make sure they are recognizing the correct talent.  Painting is an art that most assuredly can improve with time, and if the painting or brushwork is what is being recognized then, in my very humble opinion, the Sable Thistle is the appropriate award.  However, make sure the submission is for brushwork or painting of charters etc..., and not for illumination.  Illumination is a different art that requires a different skill.  It would be no different than awarding a bright metal worker for being an excellent forger.  Just because both individuals work with metal does not make their arts interchangeable.  The crane is for service and if someone paints 100 charters for the kingdom in a month then I think that it is obvious that they are serving their
 kingdom and they deserve to be recognized for that.  All of that being said (ask Stacia I tend to be long winded) word fame is honestly the best praise an artisan can receive.  As an illuminator I appreciate it when someone approaches me personally, advises me on how I can improve, and praises my accomplishments.  Another thing, above and beyond word fame, is commissions.  Especially for someone that is just starting to be recognized for their skill.  To be asked to do a project, helps solidify in the artists mind that you have faith in their skill, and you're not just saying you do.

  Ly. Thora Ottarsdottir