[Scriptoris] Article on quills-was: Re: Curing feather quills

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 5 17:34:59 PDT 2006

Thanks Lete,
'The Calligrapher's Handbook' by Tapplinger press, has been showing up in good sets at Half-Price
books, most likely a distributers close out, as there were a number of other Tapplinger books
available, most on calligraphy; many of them by declared masters of the British Fellows of Scribes
and Illuminators.

Sadly, in the US, 'The Calligraphers Handbook' is quickly becoming obsolete, and if you order it
via John Neal Books, who cater to scribes, they have to order it from the UK, and it runs around
$25-35.   At Half-Books if you find it, you can get it for $4-10.   I'm buying up all that I find
and giving them as prizes to scribes that I know will share and teach the information in this
great book.  The cover is blue, paperback, and an earlier version occasionally shows in pink,
though the articles are different some.

I'll be using the Donald Jackson article on Quill Cutting as my basis for the class at Knowne
World Heraldic and Scribal Symposium, and Thomas atte Woode will be teaching a variant that he
learned at King's College.

There is loads of info on the exhibit, lectures, workshops on the tour at Tyler, at:
http://www.tylermuseum.org/SaintJohns.htm

Those in Dallas should try to make the lecture this Friday evening, the speakers are top
professionals.

Cheers, Hillary