[Scriptoris] Orange Scribal Lecture

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 27 18:25:55 PST 2007

Greetings Scribes,
  Tuesday, before Christmas week, a few of 'we' scribes from the Stargate and Loch Soilleir areas, made the 2 hr. trek to Bordermarch (Orange, Tx), to hear a lecture on the 'Books of Hours' presented by Roger S. Wieck, of the Pierpont Morgan Library, NY, NY.  :
  http://www.starkmuseum.org/exhibitions.html

  Many of you may know Mr. Wieck's books "Time Sanctified', 'The Painted Prayers' and the 'Hours of Henry VIII'.   Mr. Wieck offered another book at the exhibit from a Catalog series from the Pierpont, that I think most of us picked up.  I'll try to have my copy at Coronation for you guys to check out.

  Mr Wieck's lecture included a powerpoint presentation of images of books of hours from the Orange 'Stark' Museum 7 books of hours, as well as images from the Getty in California and the Morgan library in New York.  He reviewed the different parts of a Book of Hours, from it's calendars, to Hours of the Virgin, as well as the Psalms and Proverbs in the text areas.  I found the lecture very informative, though I knew some of the information, I learned a few new things as well.   And best of all, the lecture and a tour of the exhibit were free.

  Thanks so much to Lady Kaitlen Hamilton, Bordermarch for posting the exhibit to the Scriptorius lists.  If your local museum has an exhibit of scribal interest be sure to post it!

  Oh, and I have a picture of the tour group to send to the website, look for it.